Sunday, June 28, 2009

Finding the right professor for you

Everyone knows how students, especially college students, want to create a schedule each semester which has classes they are interested in or required to take. Its no secret that students do better in classes when they like their professor, so wouldn't it be great if you could find out what a professor is like before scheduling the class? Well now you can, and it has been made easy as can be by the creators of Pick-A-Prof. Pick-A-Prof is a website used by college students across the United States to review past classes certain professors have tought. This website provides information about 1000s of teachers from campuses all across the country, thanks to the reviews and ratings posted by students who have had the class before and wanted to share their experiences with others. In order to use this free online tool, all you need to do is create an account, which simply involves providing an email address and creating a password. The main reason for this is for the website managers to email updates and for you to have the ability to post comments on discussion boards for your respected University.

For example, if I wanted to find out about calculus 1550 professors at LSU; I would simply login or create and account then select my university and choose a course. After entering the search, I will be able to view a list of current professors, who teach that particular course, and see what the average grade earned in past classes were. In addition, I can read comments or ratings left by past students. Check out this easy to use educational tool at http://www.pickaprof.com/.

3 comments:

  1. I've used this website before in the past and it's great. I think overall your assessment of the website is pretty thorough, which is good. I do think you have a little bit too much information that kind of made it bulky to read (e.g., about the creation of the account). I do like the example that you gave of when to use it, a lot of people tend to skip over that kind of thing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting app and it seems like it would be something that is used around the U.S. It gives the student a chance to get to pick their own professor and see how you think you would be able to do in that class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on this one. I have used this before as well and it has worked for me. However, there are several websites just like this one. A similar website is ratemyprofessor.com. Both work and are great websites. Does this website offer something on ALL professors or do they have to be added by students?

    ReplyDelete